Sunday, December 1, 2019

Christmas Movie Review: Day One





Every day, from now until Christmas, I will be doing a Christmas movie review for ya'll to enjoy! Maybe you'll even want to give some of these films a try this Christmas season to put you into the holiday mood!

Holiday Inn 

Let's start with one of my favorites, shall we?
 Holiday Inn is a 1942 musical starring Bing Crosby, Fred Astaire and Marjorie Reynolds and features songs written by the great Irving Berlin. <3

Plot: 
 Crosby's character, Jim Hardy, leaves the show-biz life for a farm in Connecticut after being jilted by her girlfriend, Lila (Virginia Dale), who says she has fallen for his friend, Ted Hanover (Fred Astaire). 
 Jim isn't completely happy with farm life, however, and returns a year later with a plan to turn his farm into a 'Holiday Inn', only open on the special holidays for guests to celebrate together. 
 Ted and his agent are amused by his scheme and the agent sends a random young woman named Linda (Marjorie Reynolds) to audition for a place in his act. 
 Jim, however, likes Linda and agrees for her to stay on at the Inn, and that day (being Christmas Day) he sings his new song 'White Christmas' for her. The song has become dear to people across the globe, and we have Irving Berlin to thank for that! <3
 Problems arise when Ted arrives, sad and broken because Lila ran out on him (this woman likes leaving poor young men at the alter!) to marry a millionaire. Because he's a bit *ahem* tipsy, Ted dances with Linda but can't remember it the next day. 
 Ted's agent demands that he finds the girl because of her exceptional dancing skills, and Jim, worried that his friend will once again snatch his love away, does his best to make sure they never find her.





Where do I begin? <3
I've loved this movie from the first time I watched it. It's an old-time film with charm and humor that can only from 1940's America, and its's good clean entertainment to get you in the Christmas mood.
 Bing Crosby's character is sweet, humble and lovable; the complete opposite of Fred Astaire's character. Ted Hanover is a regular weasel in my opinion and find myself wishing someone would give that man a good swift kick just once. But his dancing is pretty on point, I must say, so we will forgive him for existing. After all, the story wouldn't be complete without his character ruffling everyone's feathers. *winks*
 Also, it's Bing Crosby. We can't not love his quiet humor and beautiful crooning.


Marjorie Reynolds character was perfect for Croby's love interest. She's sweet, cheerful and kind without being too forward or pushy, and I have to say her hair was beautiful. Every time I watch this movie I just gawk at her elegant outfits and the ladylike way she holds herself. I confess sometimes I find myself wishing I could be a little more like her. 
 Her singing is quite lovely, too. <3 


The songs in this movie vary from fun and lighthearted to sweet and tender, making this a very enjoyable musical with just enough dancing to keep it fun without overdoing it. I love dancing, but some musicals like to stretch the numbers on for far too long. 


There is, of course, a scene where Ted is quite drunk. But it doesn't show him drinking, and that is the only time any of the characters appear to consume alcohol. So if you are concerned about your kids being exposed to anything like that, there is that one scene. But it is made to more humorous than anything else. 

I think there are some dancing girls wearing short skirts in a scene, but their dancing isn't inappropriate or anything like that and they aren't on screen very long.

Lila is also rather fickle and annoying, as she drops one man after another. But I'd say she and Ted deserve each other. *SPOILER*.......................... Lila returns, having left her millionaire, as well. (before the wedding, of course)



All in all, it's a fun, sweet movie filled with warmth and entertainment that I will watch again and again. Jim and Linda are the cutest couple, too, may I add. <333 
 There's nothing like a black and white classic to start off the season! 

My Review: Five Stars ☆☆☆☆☆
 And I hope you all enjoyed this post and give this wonderful classic a try!

                                         LaKaysha 

3 comments:

  1. yes! this movie is five stars for sure! I wouldn't own it if it wasn't *winks*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this movie when I first watched it! It's such a cute story. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found Holiday Inn on DVD for $2 on Black Friday! :D

    ReplyDelete