Monday, December 2, 2019

Christmas Movie Review: Day Two

I'll Be Seeing You (1944)

This film is another golden classic. <333
 When two strangers aboard a train, Mary Marshall and Sgt. Zachary Morgan, end up sitting across from each other, there is an instant connection between the two. But both people have their secrets. Mary is a convict, given eight days furlough to spend the holidays with her aunt and uncle, and Zach, who is a victim of shell shock, has been allowed a ten-day leave to try and adjust to normal life. Both are spending Christmas in Pinehill before Mary must return to prison and Zach to the hospital. The two exchange numbers before parting ways, and eventually begin to see each other.  
 Once they spend more time together, it's obvious Mary and Zach are falling for each other, but neither has the courage to admit their troubles...And time is running out.  
 It's a beautiful romantic drama featuring The beautiful Ginger Rogers, handsome Joseph Cotton and the delightful Shirley Temple, all grown up. 

I loved this movie.
 It was sweet, warm, with some humor and sadness that leaves you with a satisfied feeling after watching it.
 You just want to cry for both Mary and Zach's pain, smile at their obvious feelings for each other, and sigh when it all finally comes together in a beautiful ending. And it features one of my favorite songs from the era. (same title as the movie)


Ginger Rogers does a marvelous job as Mary, the main character who was sent to prison for accidental manslaughter. I personally think she's one of the prettiest actresses of the 40s, and she has the sweetest smile.
 Mary's character is strong, kind and thoughtful, even with her sentence, and it leaves you wondering why they made her go to prison in the first place. After all, she was only defending herself.
 And, yes, I'm going to say it again: her style *sighs*
Her outfits are positively adorable, and her hair is pretty and feminine. I just love watching these old classics and studying the way they used to dress in the good old days.


Joseph Cotton also beautifully portrayed the poor broken Zach. Watching his pain made my heart break, and I just wanted gather him up for a big old hug.
 His shyness and quiet tenderness with Mary is enough to melt any girl, and the way he tries so hard to overcome his problem makes you respect him even more.



Shirley Temple's character Barbara (Mary's cousin) was typical of the roles she played during her teen years. Bouncy, fun and light, bringing some comic relief to screen. But Barbara has a tender heart that shows throughout the film, and it makes you wish Shirley had more dramatic roles as a young woman.



Mary's aunt and uncle were the sweetest couple as well. Kind and forgiving, and always there for Mary. I can't say many parents would let their daughter share a room with a convict, even if Mary didn't meant to kill the man.
Aunt Sarah is portrayed by the same woman (Spring Byington) who later played Daisy Cooper in Laramie (which I have been watching lately) and I always enjoy seeing her kind-hearted air and sweet attitude.



There is some drinking in the New Year's scene. A few kisses. In one scene Mary tells Barbara about how and why she had to kill a man. He tried to accost her, but it doesn't go into too much details and shows her accidentally shove him through an open window while fighting him off. But the scene is very brief and shows very little.

Also has a scene of Zach having an 'episode' due to his shell shock, which I guess could be frightening to young children. I probably wouldn't have been, but all kids are different.

I thought it was sweet movie, the kind that young girls would do well to watch these days instead of those cheesy Hallmark films or Chick-Flicks. The ending always makes me cry, without fail. <333
 But don't take my word for it! Watch it yourself. 


My Review: Five stars ✩✩✩✩✩

And that's day two down! I hope you all enjoyed! 

                                                                                         LaKaysha

4 comments:

  1. I watched this before! I can't remember where or when. Maybe I'd enjoy watching it again sometime!

    These reviews are fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never watched this! Why haven't I? We need to sometime. *winks*

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make me want to watch this again *cries*

    ReplyDelete