Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Christmas Movie Review: Day Seventeen

Meet Me in St. Louis 

 The Smith's lead a comfortable, happy middle-class life, in their small city of St. Louis, Missouri. Alonzo Smith (Leon Ames) is an attorney, while his doting wife Anna (Mary Astor) runs the household, along with the help of Katie (Marjorie Main), their maid.
 They have four daughters; Rose (Lucille Bremer), Esther (Judy Garland), Agnes (Joan Caroll) and 'Tootie' (Margaret O'Brian), and one son: Lon (Henry H. Daniels)
The family is happy, getting into all sorts of scrapes and mischief, learning lessons of life and love, until Father announces that they will be moving to New York.


Ah, Victorian America.  This movie isn't exactly a Christmas movie, since the stories follows along all four seasons, but it definitely has that Christmas feel. Plus, this film gave the world the song "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas) so I think it qualifies. 


Esther's character is cute. <3 Her crush on the boy-next-door, despite never having met him, is adorable (and I can somewhat relate. *cough)  and her optimism is sweet. 
 I think her relationship with John Truit (the boy next door) is the most cutest thing, and it makes me wish I had someone like John. He's so polite, and the perfect gentleman. <33
 Judy Garland's singing is, as always, beautiful, and all the songs in this film are fun to sing along with. 'The Trolley Song' is positively adorable, I must say. That's one of the my favorite parts of the movie. 


Mr. and Mrs. Smith are another sweet couple in this film, I'd like to point out. Anna doesn't want to move to New York, and she lets it be known, but when it comes down to it, she tells her husband she'll do whatever he wishes because he knows best. 
 I think her quiet way of standing beside him is so sweet, and I respect the character for it. 
I enjoyed seeing Marjorie Main as Katie, since I grew up watching her as 'Ma' in the "Ma and Pa Kettle" movies. 


Tootie kinda freaked me out, not gonna lie. Only a few minutes into the film she had me wondering "What's wrong with this kid?" but she can cute as times. Her strange obsession with dying dolls and death will have you wondering the same thing, but thankfully it doesn't go into it too much. 
 It did also irritate me at how spoiled she was. When she lies and nearly causes John Truit to get into all sorts of trouble, instead of severely scolding her, they end up ignoring Tootie like that will help. 
 Clearly she needs some form of discipline. 


The party scene was probably my all-time favorite of this movie. The dancing, singing, and all the pretty dresses makes me wish I was there. It looks like they had such fun in the old days. 

Content: 
A few simple kisses. At the Christmas party some of the girls' necklines are a little low. 
 There is also a Halloween scene that I always skip just because I think Tootsie is creepy and odd... I don't support Halloween at all, so I personally have to use for that part. 

I love this movie! The romance is positively adorable, and the songs are awesome. 

My Review: Five Stars ⭐ ⭐⭐⭐⭐ 



2 comments:

  1. love love love this movie! Judy Garland always has had a special place in my heart. Not sure why <3

    ReplyDelete