Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Christmas Movie Review: Day Eighteen

Molly: An American Girl on the Home Front

I loved the Molly books as a young girl. I re-read them over and over again until the pages got worn, and stared in fascination at all the pictures showing the hair and fashion of the 1940's. 
 I think I can honestly say Molly is one of my favorites in the American Girl series, so I was excited when this film came out in 2006. 
 I can't say I was completely let down.... but pretty much. 

Molly McIntire (Maya Ritter) is ten years old, living in Jefferson County, Illinois, in the year 1944. World War Two is raging across the globe, and although everyone around her urges her to grow up and accept the changes that come with war, Molly can't understand why she has to sacrifice. Things become much harder when her father (David Aaron Baker), a doctor, announces that he is going to London to help injured soldiers. 
 Soon Molly's world is turned upside-down. 


I can't say this movie was absolutely horrible. There were good things about it. But the bad just seemed to really stand out to me. 
 Personally, I think most of the acting throughout this movie is terrible, especially on Molly's part. She mumbles most of her lines, tries her hardest to sound genuine and sounds more like she was reciting a very boring poem she's memorized. 
 Her siblings aren't much better, which really disappointed me because I loved Jill's character in the books. Also, she's missing a brother??? Was it really that hard to find someone to play Brad?


They did all right, though, at capturing the feel of the 1940's, and I wished we could have seen more jitterbugging in the scene at the park. Ah, I do love me some good jitterbugging. 
 The fashion was pretty good, too, although Molly's mom just didn't look right to me. I always pictured her slimmer, with shorter hair and not so much makeup. Her acting, honestly wasn't the greatest, either. 



Emily's portrayal was better than Molly's, but still seemed to be missing something. I also found myself wondering throughout the movie if the actress was really English...the accent didn't sound quite right to me, but maybe I'm just skeptical. *goes to look up the actress real quick* HAH! I was right. She's no Limey.  

There was just so much missing from this film, like the whole part of Jill and Molly trying to set Molly's hair...I loved that part. *sigh* 

But there were some nice parts to this film, too. I would sit down and watch it again for entertainment sake, and it really is a good family movie. It just wasn't as great as I had hoped. 

My Review: Three Stars ✰✰✰

I'm twenty-one years, old (nearly 22) so, while this movie might not have thrilled me, you can't exactly take my opinion as gold. It is leaned toward a younger audience. Don't be afraid to give it a watch! 

                                                                      LaKaysha


No comments:

Post a Comment