Friday, December 13, 2019

Christmas Movie Review: Day Thirteen

Little Women (1994)

Ahhhh, this movie! <333 
 Yes, there have been many versions of this film, but this one will forever be my favorite. 
The music is breathtaking and sets the mood perfectly, the costumes (eeeeep the costumes) and the characters are are beautiful. 
 I am a huge Little Women fan, so, yes, I am aware that this film strays away from Louis May Alcott's novel. But it's very close when you think about all those new ones. *gag* 


I think this Jo is by far the best in all the films made. She's plucky and independent, but she isn't too loud and annoying like almost every other portrayal I've seen. (I'm looking at you, Katherine Hepburn. *cough cough*) 
 We watch Jo's growth from an awkward teen to a quietly strong woman with a good head on her shoulders yet more humble than before. 
 If you've read the book, you'd agree with me that Jo March isn't nearly a feminist as everyone likes to claim in this day and age. 
 I just hate how the media is destroying this beautiful story, taking out all the Christian values and life lessons the book instills, and replacing it with a story about 'strong women' and 'girl power'. 
 The novel promotes strong women, yes, but in the most beautiful way. Marmee encourages her girls to place their trust in Christ, and assures them that with Him by their side, they can accomplish anything. That's real strength right there. 


Oh, the Christmas scene. <3 As a little girl, I wanted to leap through the TV screen and join them. And the next Christmas, when Beth gets her piano... <333 Ah, all the feels. 
 Speaking of Beth, I will admit that I think the best portrayal was in the 1933 version, but this Beth here holds her own. She captures the shy, caring March girl beautifully, and her death scene....*gross sobbing* I'm always a wreck when the movie takes that turn. 


The other characters are excellent. From Marmee's gentle wisdom to Aunt March's prickly exterior, most of the people mirror the ones from the original classic. Although, I must say I wasn't too fond of the man who played John Brooke. I always pictured him much more handsome and athletic than the John in this movie. Just because he's a tutor, doesn't mean he has to be pale and stiff. Am I right? 
 Christian Bale did all right as Laurie. He's not as youthful in my opinion, but you can't really expect a full grown man to act like a boy... wait, isn't that how they always act? *winks* Jk
 He's fairly tolerable, and probably the best Laurie I've seen on screen. They just don't seem to know how to get the boy right. 

This is another period drama, so some of the styles are accurate in a not-so modest way. At the ball we see a few low-necklines, including Meg's, although she is frowned upon because of it. Laurie tells her to 'tie her dress around her neck where it'll do her some good'. Amy also wears a low dress when she is older.
 A few kisses between three different couples.

I love this movie! <33333 
 As I said, the soundtrack is amazing. The camera angles were executed perfectly, the acting wonderful, and the story almost as beautiful as the original classic. *winks*
 A childhood favorite of mine!


My Review: Five Stars ✩✩✩✩✩

Do you love this movie as much as I do? Have you read the original book? Which film adaption do you prefer?

                                                                                                LaKaysha

4 comments:

  1. I finally read the book!
    Lol I like Katherine Hepburn, I thought she portrayed Jo's character in the 30s film closer to how Jo is portrayed in the book.
    I like ALL the film's made from the 1930s to the 1994 version.
    All the new ones are horrible, in my personal opinion... But I have a hard time with any modern made movies or shows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah... this movie gives you all the feels. <3
    Why are you making me want to watch all these?!! *laughs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this movie. :) This is the only version of Little Women I've watched, but I hope to watch the newest one that's coming out on Christmas.

    ReplyDelete