Thursday, December 19, 2019

Christmas Movie Review: Day Nineteen

Barbie in The Nutcracker

Yes, Barbie. I am a young adult who will admit, with only a little embarrassment, that I still watch (and love) Barbie movies. The good ol' ones I grew up with, that is. 
 Just the other day I found out that Barbie and the Diamond Castle, one of the films that I consider to be a new Barbie movie, is eleven years old. *that moment you realize you're getting old* Umm, what? No.
 Anywho, on with the review. *quietly stuffs eight-year-old-self back inside me* 

"In her very first movie brimming with enchanting music, Barbie gives life to the plucky young girl, Klara, as she narrates the fascinating story of the Nutcracker to her younger sister, Kelly. When Klara receives a lustrous wooden nutcracker from Aunt Elizabeth as a Christmas present, that same night, the magical toy comes to life to protect her from the army of the evil Mouse King; however, the invader manages to shrink her to toy size. Now, Klara and her defender, the brave Nutcracker, embark on a marvellous adventure, in search of the beautiful Sugarplum Princess--the only one capable of breaking the spell. Can a dash of valour help Klara thwart the king's plans?"
(IMDb summary) 



*eight-year-old-self struggles to rise up again* 
Okay....I love this movie. Laugh if you want to, I don't really mind. The music in here, is, of course, beautiful, the animation unique and stunning in its own way, and the dialogue honestly is pretty good. As a little girl I was fascinated by the images of dancing fairies in all their tiny glory, wishing I could be one of them. The young winter fairy was adorable. 


The Mouse King is pretty cool as Barbie villains go, I must say. He actually has depth to his character, instead of being a typical power-hungry bad guy. I mean, yeah, he wants power, but he's willing to go to much bigger heights to get it than most Barbie villains, which makes him seem like a more believable bad guy. As believable as a crown-wearing mouse can be, that is. 


Klara and the Nutcracker......... *sighs* Don't get me started. 
 As a little girl, I was positive there wasn't a more sweet, more adorable couple as Klara and Prince Eric. I thought the Nutcracker was the bravest, handsomest hero alive, even if he was made of wood. That made his character come through even more. He shows himself to the most perfect gentleman in every moment, even during times of danger. *Eight-year-old definitely comes through*
 Not gonna lie, I had a crush on that wooden hero. 
And Klara was the perfect heroine. Brave, kind and generous, but still maintaining grace and femininity, just like I think all heroines should be. Strong enough to stand on her own when need be, but gentle and delicate enough to want someone by her side. 
 Also, as a little girl, I thought she was absolutely stunning. 
 (I want her Christmas gown; I'm not ashamed to say it.)  

Aside from 'scary' moments, I don't believe there is any content worth mentioning. 

Maybe I'm biased, but this movie will forever have a special place in my heart. And it seems the eight-year-old is completely in charge today, because we're putting five stars on this one. 

My review: Five Stars ✩✩✩✩✩


Day Nineteen down, less than a week to go! Did I just blow your mind? Christmas is nearly here!
 Now if you'll excuse me...I just remembered a bunch more Barbie movies that I want to re-watch. (Swan Lake, here I come) 

                                                                                                    LaKaysha 

1 comment: