Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Christmas Movie Review: Day Ten

Little House on the Prairie (The Pilot)

 Another movie that technically isn't a Christmas movie, but, oh, I loved watching it Christmas time as a little girl! <3 

Charles and Caroline Ingalls leave their home in the Big Woods for the unknown prairie in Indian Territory, travelling in a covered wagon and bringing along their three daughters, Mary, Laura and Carrie, and their faithful dog, Jack. When they finally reach Kansas, they build a cabin and the young family settles in to their new home.
 Prairie fire, Indians, rushing rivers and heavy snows are just a few of things they have to endure, and the family must rely on their faith in God and their love for each other to survive the wild country.


But... you knew that, right? *winks* 
 I mean, everyone knows the story of Laura Ingalls Wilder. As a little girl, my mom would read the books aloud to us, and this movie was a regularly watched film in my house. I was in love with Laura and her world; many times I'd lie in bed and just wish I could have been born 100 years earlier. 


If you've watched the rest of the TV show, then you'd know they stray far away from the original story. Like far, far away.  But the pilot movie actually stayed closer than most adaptions. 
 The music and sounds in this movie gives me all the feels of childhood, and the Christmas scene..*happy sighs* It's almost the way I always pictured it when my mom would read it aloud. <3
 When I got a little older, and was able to truly comprehend what was going on, I realized how sad Ma and Pa must have been feeling, thinking that they couldn't give their girls much of a Christmas. When you're a kid you just don't grasp those kind of things. I love Ma's gentle reminder to Pa: 
"It's Christ's birthday, not ours."


Some people think the acting here is cheesy, but I always thought it was excellent. Although I would say Melissa Gilbert's portrayal of Laura is a little bit bratty, but that doesn't show through nearly as much until the show, so I can handle her here. She may not be exactly the way the real Laura was, but she tries. And her narrating, along with the music, is beautiful. <3 
 Mr. Edwards is probably the only character I would have real complaints about. Don't get me wrong; he's still a wonderful person that adds a lot to the story, and I learned to love him. But he's not Mr. Edwards. The Mr. Edwards in the books was thin, wiry, and called himself a 'wildcat from Tennessee'. I felt like the actor in the mini-series from 2005 captured that spirit better. (But take my word and don't even bother that adaption of the story.) 
 The Mr. Edwards from this film kinda give your more of a huggable bear feel, instead of a wildcat.  


Watching this movie as a little girl also helped me grasp how frightening it must have been for both Caroline and Charles. Taking their little girls far from any family to an unsettled place where Indian rumors circulated and other dangers roamed. And the Indian threat part....brrr. It's enough to scare an adult, when you think about how desperate Pa must be feeling, thinking he's going to have to fight to keep him family from being killed. 


Speaking of Pa, I thought Michael Landon did a wonderful job as Charles Ingalls. No, he doesn't look anything like the real Pa (I mean, he's missing the iconic beard??) but he captured that cheerfulness and sparkle that Laura wrote about. And portrayed the fiddle-playing father perfectly. <3 
 He made Charles Ingalls seem more than a dad seen through the eyes of a little girl; he brought a touch of human to the character, and made him to be a man with emotions and fears and thoughts that others can relate to. 
 Karen Grassle did a good job as Ma, too, although I always pictured Caroline to be a little quieter and softer. But she holds her own just fine throughout the film. As show continued on, however, I like her adaption less and less. (But we are discussing the movie)  

Charles takes God's name in vain once, during a moment of crisis. When I was little I thought he was praying, so...there is that. Other than that, I can't recall any content. 


This childhood favorite will always have a special place in my heart. <3 The music, the scenery, and the dialogue...I can hear it in my sleep. It's just the best. <333

My Review: Five Stars ✩✩✩✩✩


If you haven't seen this one, I recommend you give it a try! Maybe it isn't true to the story, but its still a heartwarming film that's good for the whole family to enjoy. 

                                                                                           LaKaysha

1 comment:

  1. I loved this movie! And reading this makes me want to watch it again! *laughs*

    ReplyDelete