Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Christmas Movie Review: Day Twenty-Four

An Avonlea Christmas

The little town of Avonlea faces big changes when the first World War comes to P.E.I's quiet shores, and the King family must face one of the most frightening and hardest trials of their lives when Felix King is reported missing in action.


I grew up watching Road to Avonlea since it was something my Grandma loved watching, and the characters are as real and dear to me as if they were my own family. I didn't know this TV movie existed until I was much older.
 Seeing Janet (Lally Cadeau) and Alec's (Cedric Smith) pain as they wait and wonder about Felix's (Zachary Bennett) safety was awful. *cries*
 Alec King has always been one of my favorite characters in the show; maybe because he reminds me of my own dad, and his obvious sorrow at the disappearance of his only son is absolutely heartbreaking. 
 Janet's reaction is understandable. As a child I was little annoyed at her attitude, but now I can understand a little as to why she is so upset and bitter. (Not that I condone her behavior) 
 I mean, that's her son that's missing. Any mother would have a hard, hard time. 


I loved seeing all the characters we know and love, but I did miss a few. I wish they could have had Gus (another one of my favorites) appear in scene, just for a little bit. It didn't seem like Avonlea without him. Seeing Sara or Andrew would have been great, too, but Sara was overseas somewhere, so it would be rather unlikely that she would come during such a troubled time. But I would have liked to hear what happened to Andrew, since he more than likely would have been involved in the war. 
 My biggest disappointment, however, was the fact that they never mentioned Izzy Pettibone. If you've watched the show, you'd know that Izzy and Felix care deeply for each other, and it seems kinda obvious that at some point they'd get married. 
 But in this movie sequel, we see her brother Arthur and are informed that the Pettibone's have moved away. No one mentions Izzy, nor do they inform Arthur of Felix's being reported MIA. Which would be kinda normal, since Izzy is Felix's girlfriend. Am I right?

Other than that, it's a wonderful movie that I look forward to watching every year. The actors performances are wonderful; Alec's moment with his sister Olivia never fails to brings tears to my eyes, as he confesses he would go to war himself if he knew it would bring Felix back. *cries thinking about it* 

Content: 
Some war scenes. Janet uses the phrase 'tinker's d--m' once. 

My Review: Five Stars ✰✰✰✰✰


I highly recommend this film to Avonlea fans! It's sure to bring tears to your eyes and a smile to your face. <333

                                                                                                     LaKaysha

2 comments:

  1. *cries in a pillow for a long time* This movie always brings tears to my eyes. Felix's face is so heart broken. But, I love it. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just watched this for the first time the other day! And then watched it again with some of the family last night. ;D It was really good! Definitely had those moments that bring tears to your eyes. <3
    Gus should've definitely been in it, though.

    ReplyDelete