Saturday, February 15, 2020

Top Ten Couples: Louis L'Amour


As I started to write up the ton ten couples list, I realized I had way too many couples from Louis L'Amour westerns... So I decided to do a complete separate list! Sorry if that makes you cringe, all you Louis L'Amour haters. *just kidding, I'm not sorry* 
 Some of the characters were very difficult to find photos that seemed to fit, so that is why some are just of scenery, ect. 
(Also, if these photos are off of Pinterest, so if there is a picture from a movie or show, it doesn't necessarily mean I've watched it)

10. Shalako and Irina (Shalako)


This is one of my favorite Louis L'Amour novels. I used to bring it along on road trips so I could read all about the desert and canyons and buttes as we drove through Eastern Oregon. Whenever we drove through rugged country, the story became even more real for me. <33

Shakalo is a mysterious drifter with a knowledge of the desert and the Indians who roam them, and is a hard man who has little patience for stupidity and greenhorns. Despite this, we see Carlin, or "Shalako" (given the name by Indians) as a smart man who has a gentleness hidden inside and a rather educated mind beneath his rugged appearance. He's really the cutest thing. <3 
 Lady Irina comes across as a little foolish and spoiled at first, but she soon realizes her mistake and is actually very helpful to Shalako later on. They don't say much about their feelings, but it's obvious they like each other. <33  

Quote: 
"Actually, there was a strangely gentle quality in the man...it was nothing he had said, rather than his handling of his horse, and aside from his brusque way of speaking, his manner toward her."

9. Bendigo and Ninon (Bendigo Shafter)


This couple's story is more unique compared to most of his books. Bendigo rescues Ninon during a blizzard, while she is still a young girl. At first he kind treats her as a little sister, but as she grows it begins to blossom into something more. 
 I do wish we could see more of their relationship. Ninon leaves for the city later on in the book,  but not before vowing that she'll marry him someday. They are later reunited, but the book ends before we get to see a wedding. *sighs*

Quote: 

"Ninon came to the door with me. "I shall miss you." she said, her eyes very large. 

"By the time I come back you'll have forgotten all about me." 

"Never!" She looked up at me. "I love you, Bendigo. Someday I shall marry you."

8. Dorian and Echo (Ride the River)


Awww,  my very first Louis L'Amour and still a favorite. 
 Echo is a cute little mountain girl from Tennessee who can shoot as well as any man (but is warned by her uncle to never let them know that!) and rides just as well. I love seeing her being first exposed to a big city and fancy clothes, and how excited she is to dress up and go to town. Despite being raised in the backwoods and sometimes slipping-up on her grammar, Echo carries herself life a true lady.
 Dorian is a well-bred, slightly spoiled young man who quickly shows that he can hold his own during times of trouble, and is also a true gentleman when it comes down to it. Their relationship starts out a little rocky (although Echo likes him from the start) but they end up growing close and... oh, they're just so cuuuuute.  *suppressed squeals*

Quote: 

"Mordecai glanced at Dorian, then at me. "You sparkin' him?" 

I glanced at Dorian, but he just blushed. "You might say that." I said. "You just might say that." 

"I hope she is." Dorian said. "I'd hate to go back to Uncle Finian and tell him I lost out."

7. Borden and Bess (Borden Chantry)


At the risk of sounding like a broken record... I love this book! This is a great western mystery.
 Maybe we don't see much of the married couple's relationship, but what we do see warms our hearts. Bess is tender, serving, and is always ready to stand by her husband when he needs her. Borden in return, is willing to do almost anything for her, and the few exchanges they have throughout the book seem real and genuine, without any sugar-coating or romanticized mumbo-jumbo. 
 We also get to see some of them in Son of a Wanted Man. 

Quote: 

"Bess came out; Tom and Billy with her. 

"You boys take care of, Ma, d'you hear?" 

"Borden, do you have to go?" 

"I do." 

"Then come back. I'll keep Blossom here with me. We'll be company for each other." 

He kissed her lightly, then turned the Appaloosa into the trail."

6. Dal and Kate (The Shadow Riders)


*heart eyes* 
Dal and Kate... ah, they're so sweet. Although the book is through older brother Mac's eyes, we still get to see the genuine affection the young couple has for each other. I love how Kate is quietly and steadfastly waiting for rescue, believing that maybe, just maybe, the Travens will help (even though Dal Traven has been presumed dead from the war). When she does find out that he's alive, it's so sweet the way she tells herself "Dal is coming", even though she holds her own and uses her sharp senses to help herself during the tough situation.   
 When all hope seems lost and she says aloud, "Dal, where are you?", you can just feel her loneliness and agony. 

Quote: 

"Kate held her gun steady, never taking her eyes from them. 

"It's all right now, Kate." The voice was Dal's. "Just mount up and we'll get out of here." 

For a moment her relief was so great, she thought her would faint right away..."



5. Riley and Marie (Dark Canyon)


The writing style of this novel... spotless. I just love it. <3 
 Gaylord Riley (called Lord by some, Riley by most) is a smart, quick-thinking young man who has a sweet, sensitive side. I love his boyish excitement when he begins to build a home of his own on his beloved mountain, and how he instantly falls in love with the beautiful Marie. 
 Marie falls for him almost just as quickly, but circumstances and pride keeps them from admitting their feelings until later. 
 I love the scene where Riley goes to the party and they share a dance and talk on the porch. 

Quote: 

"She snuggled deeper under the blankets, for the night was chill. She went to sleep remembering how Gaylord Riley moved and talked, and the way he looked at her. There was something strange about him, strange and exciting."

4. Tell and Ange (Sackett)


I'm already crying...Spoiler warning: In the book "Sackett Brand" this beautiful romance comes to a tragic end. *sobs* 

William Tell Sackett is a gentle man with the ladies, although he has known very few and is shy with most of them. He is tall, gangly and rugged, and he thinks himself an ugly man with no chance of ever finding a girl who would love him. When he meets sweet, delicate Ange, he falls head over heels. But how could she ever fall for a guy like him? 
 Ange is from the East, genteel in her ways and a little naive when it comes to the rough West, but strong when need be. I always wanted to look like her, all tiny and ladylike with a soft voice and thick, red hair. And she ends up with Tell, so there is that, too. 
The ending scene is absolutely adorable, and WHHYYY DID LOUIS L'AMOUR HAVE TO DESTROY SUCH A BEAUTIFUL UNION?

Quote: 

"The doctor's here." Cap protested. "You'd better see him." 

"Bring him along. There's a lady waiting dinner." 

When I came in the door of the cabin, Ange stood with her back to it. I could see her shoulders hunch a mite as if she expected to be hit, and I said, "This fool ain't married." 

She turned around and looked at me. "He will be." She said, and dropped her spoon on the floor and came across the room and right into my arms. 
 So I taken her in my arms and for the first time in my life I had something that was really mine. Seems like even a long, tall man who ain't much for looks can find him a woman, too." 


3. Johannes and Meghan (The Lonesome Gods)


Johannes is a handsome young man, who's been raised in a hard land and exposed to a hard life at a very early age. Yet he works hard to overcome the grief of his childhood and strives to make something of himself in a wild, untamed desert. His tenderness towards Meghan.... *sighs* 
 Meghan is one of the typical western heroines. Strong, yet feminine, encouraging and able to stand beside her man whenever he needs her. 
 It's hard for me to explain just why I love these two so much... I highly suggest you read the book for yourself! Don't be afraid of the title. There are no 'gods' or anything like in it. He is referring to the desert. 

Quotes: 

"Meghan...please! Don't argue. If trouble begins, walk your horse a short distance so they will not hear you, and then go!"

"Johannes, I love you!" 

"And I love you, but let's live to enjoy it. Please! If I am worried about protecting you, I cannot protect myself nearly so well."

2. Tyrel and Dru (The Daybreakers)


*happy grins* 
My favorite Sackett of all time would have to be Tyrel. He's gentle, wise and hard-working, and although he's the tenderest, most sensitive cowboy to have walked, he's got a fighting streak that earns him the right to be called 'the mean' one of the brothers. 
 The way he talks about how much he enjoys Dru's presence, even though he can't understand why, we see a shy, boyish man with a very kind heart. 
 He works hard to be a man worthy of the Spanish girl's hand, even though she would take him as the young cowpuncher that he started as. Dru is a gentle lady, strong in the face of defeat, filled with elegance and grace, and I wish I could be more like her.
 The fact that he walks into a tree after she kisses him is way.too.cute. 
Guys, if you're ever going to try a Louis L'Amour, please, oh, please read this one! <333333 *so many heart eyes*

Quotes: 

"Tyrel, be careful!" 

That made me grin. "Why, ma'am," I said, grinning at her. "I'm the most careful man you know. Getting myself killed is the last idea in my mind...I want to come back to you." 

She just looked at me. 

"You know, Dru. We've waited long enough. When I've caught these men I'm going to resign and we are going to be married...and I'm not taking no for an answer." 

Her eyes laughed at me. "Who said no?" 

Honorable Mentions: 

Nolan and Penny (Mustang Man)

Jubal and Itchakomi (Jubal)

Mike and Drusilla (Son of a Wanted Man)

Chancy and Kit (Chancy)

Rafe and Ann (Crossfire Trail) 


And Number one is....



1. Rye and Liza (To Tame a Land)


I love everything about this book. The story. The writing. The way every chapter seems to end with something dramatic and you have to move on to the next chapter. Louis L'Amour did great with this one. <333
 Ryan Tyler grows from a young boy to a strong man throughout this story. He watches his father be killed, right before his very eyes, is forced to kill a man at when he's just fifteen (which causes him to leave the home he'd found with two very kind people), and sets out on his own. 
 Rye is just seventeen years old, with plenty of experience under his belt, when he first meets the young and pretty Liza Hetrick. I like how the first thing he notices about her is that she has a nice smile. <3 
 He stays on at her father's place for some time (a year or two), breaking horses and getting to know the sweet girl that "looked at him so big-eyed sometimes that he was embarrassed." 
 When he leaves for a while, and he hears her crying in her bedroom, he confesses feeling like crying himself. Awwwww. 
 While away, Rye can't stop thinking about Liza and the way she smiles...And when he returns and Liza meets him at the gate, and climbs up into the stirrup... gah. So cute. 
 Without giving too much of the story away, while Rye is away (again) he gets word that Liza's father is dead, and hurries home to find her. Only to discover that she has vanished. 
 The sickened way he feels when he finds her gone, the desperation of trying to find her... It shows how much he has grown to love Liza.

 This book has quite the plot twist! Give it a try. <3

Quote: 

"It was harder living alone now, than it had been in the mountains before I met the Hetricks. They were good people, and I'd liked staying there with them, and I thought a lot about Liza. It was Liza I kept remembering. The way she laughed, how she smiled, and the warm way her eyes looked sometimes."

There now. That wasn't so bad, was it? I think Louis L'Amour does a good job with saying what a young man in love is thinking. And he tends to keep the romance clean and cute, which is always a plus for me. I have a hard time reading romance novels that talk about a guy looking at her legs or something... I mean, really? We, the readers, really don't need to know that, okay?

Did you enjoy that? Which one was your favorite? 



                                                                                           LaKaysha














3 comments:

  1. Gah! So many of these are like, MY FAVORITE! *squeals*
    Rye and Liza definitely have to be my number one favorite! Oh, I just love that book... *remembers all the feelings I got reading it for the first time* It's one of the best. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Johanne's and Meghan are probably my favorite off this list... and Dal and Kate.. and Tell and Ange <3

    ReplyDelete