Saturday, December 21, 2019

Christmas Movie Review: Day Twenty

Mrs. Miniver (1942)

A rural English family struggles to cope during the early months of World War Two.


This film is, in my opinion, one of the best ever made during the Second World War. <3 
 Greer Garson is by far my favorite English actress. Her voice is like music, and I always thought she had the loveliest smile. Ah, if I was British, I would want to look and sound like her. 
 She portrayed the quiet, cheerful Kay Miniver wonderfully. 
I loved her strength shown throughout this film, and her steadfastness during a very difficult time in England's history. 
 Walter Pidgeon was also a joy to see, as her loving husband, Clem. 


Teresa Wright. <3 Ah, gotta love her. I honestly would never have known she wasn't British until I watched her in 'Pride of the Yankees'. Her accent is quite convincing, in my opinion.
Her character, Carol, is a wonderful person, and I thought she and Vin (Richard Ney) were very sweet together.... *quiet sobs* Oh, this couple just breaks my heart. Watch the movie and you'll see why.


I loved seeing the everyday life of the English people living in the country. That's something you don't see very often in films from this era. I have always had a tremendous respect for the people of Britain during the war, and this movie only made it grow. 
 The way they go on with their daily lives, despite the horrors so close by, and the bombs that dropped at any given time. 
 Kay does her best to remain so cheerful and kind to all the people she comes in contact with throughout the film, and you have to respect her for it. After all, her own son is in the Air Force, and at one point her husband is gone for days, making her wonder if he's alive or dead. 
 Speaking of which, I loved seeing the people involved with the Battle of Dunkirk. That scene fascinated me.  


WARNING: This movie is sad, okay? I mean, you can't watch a film about the London Blitz and not expect some heartbreak. *wipes away tears just thinking about it* 
 But it's beautiful. It shows the immeasurable faith and strength of average people during a very frightening time. There's humor and laughter, as well as tears and heartache. I suggest keeping tissues on hand. 
 Technically it isn't a Christmas movie, but I think it's a great film to watch during the Holiday season, because it reminds us of just how blessed we are, and how strong we can be when we have family and out loving Savior beside us. Just how much we can endure when we have Christ in our heats. That seems to fit in with Christmas to me. 

Content: 
Some social drinking. A few kisses. Kay wears a nightgown that is a little low but it isn't bad and doesn't last long. During a very tragic scene Kay takes God's name in vain, but it almost could be taken as praying. Some sad and frightening scenes involving bombs and machine gunfire. I think that's it. 


 This movie is beautiful! <3 I highly recommend it to anyone who is a classic movie fan or a WWII geek (like me!).

My Review: Five Stars ✩✩✩✩✩


                                         
                                                                                                            LaKaysha

1 comment:

  1. *sobs uncontrollably* I've never watched this movie since the first time I watched it. It was so sad! *sighs* But I agree, it is a good movie. <3

    ReplyDelete