Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Christmas Movie Review: Day Four

Felicity: An American Girl Adventure 

As a little girl, I grew up reading the American Girl books and had my very own Kirsten doll. I was a huge American Girl Doll fan, and loved pouring over the catalogs and books. One of my favorite girls, was Felicity Merriman, so when this movie came out in 2005, I was excited! And yes, I still watch it every now and then, even if I am nearly twenty-two years old. I say if its a good movie, you'll love it forever. <3 

Ten-year-old Felicity Merriman (Shailene Woodley) is growing up in Williamsburg, Virginia, just before the American Revolution. High-spirited and independent, Felicity is a bit of a handful for her mother, although the young girl does try. She eventually tames a wild horse owned by a vicious old man, Jiggy Nye, and causes a bit of trouble in the process. 
Meanwhile, tension grows between the colonists. Some, including Felicity’s father (John Schnieder) and his apprentice, Ben (Kevin Zegers), wish for independence from the king of England. Others, like Felicity’s grandfather (David Gardner) and her best friend, Elizabeth (Katie Henney) remain loyal to the king.


This a fun, heart-warming movie that a lot of girls would enjoy watching. I like how they kept Felicity's independent spirit toned down just enough. If this were a newer film, it would have feminism on every corner and on every woman's lips. Thankfully, I did not feel that they were trying to endorse feminism or shove politics into my face. They were simply telling a story. 
 And who doesn't love a historical film? From the first moment I watched it, I was fascinated by the costumes and manners that the people wore, and all the little daily things they did. 
 I mean, look at those dresses! *happy squeals* I would give anything to have been an extra on set, and able to wear one of those gorgeous gowns. 


Young Shailene Woodley did very well as the high-spirited Felicity, although even as a little girl it was obvious to me that the actress was not ten years old. We will allow it, though. 
 Her acting wasn't excellent, like some younger stars, but she did hold her own throughout the film. In the scene where she tearfully prays, however, she did so well that I will still tear up at the desperation in her voice as she beds God to keep her mother safe. 
 We will also keep in mind that movie was intended for a younger audience, so if Shailene's portrayal seems a little lacking, that would be why. 


I absolutely loved Ben's character when I first read the books, so I was excited to see how well they would do in the movie. To give Kevin Zegers credit, my disappointment had nothing to do with his acting. He was very good, in fact. I was a little annoyed that they cast someone so much older than Felicity. I realize that in the books Ben is fifteen, compared to Felicity's ten. But couldn't they have cast an actual teen? The actor was twenty-one years old, and its kinda obvious! 
 When I read the books, I imagined that Ben would marry Felicity after she'd grown up. But in the movie that was very difficult to picture, and he seemed more like an older brother. 


John Schnieder, however, did a wonderful job! I loved him as Felicity's gentle but firm and unwavering father. He's wise and humble, but does not back away from his beliefs, even when his own father-in-law disagrees. And I mean, its John Schnieder. His acting is always on point. 

Other characters include Marcia Gay Harden as Felicity's mother, who also did marvelous as the quiet and tender-hearted woman. Grandfather, played by David Gardner, seemed rather stern to me, but loving in his own way. 

 I could have done without the whole stealing a horse thing, but that did happen in the books. And while I am not saying Mr. Nye wasn't in the wrong, it wasn't exactly right of Felicity to take matters into her own hands, either. But, I suppose, in her own way, she was only trying to stand up for her beliefs the same way her father and Ben did. 
 I mean, being a traitor to the Crown isn't exactly legal, either. Yet our Founding Fathers did defy the King, and thank the Lord they did, or who knows where we'd be. 

Because this a period film, quite a few of the women wear daringly low necklines. Mr, Nye is a known drunk, but it never actually shows him ever drinking, and although he is a rather vicious, angry man, he doesn't come across as dangerous to any man. Only his horse. 



All in all, it is a sweet movie that the whole family can enjoy! Because of some of the things I've pointed out (mainly Ben's casting) I will only be giving this one four stars. 

My Review: Four Stars ✩✩✩✩

But that doesn't mean it isn't worth a watch! Go see it for yourself <3 

                                                                                              LaKaysha



4 comments:

  1. Ohhh this is a childhood classic for me! Felicity was always one of my favorites and I remember loving the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forget that this is a Christmas movie. Haha! It's been a good long while since I watched it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *sighs* I loved this movie. I would watch all the time! *laughs*

    ReplyDelete