Thursday, December 12, 2019

The Merry and Bright Tag


My lil' sis over at Walking in the Sonshine tagged me for this. I reckon you guys are getting tired of only seeing movie reviews, huh? I do apologize for boring you. 
 Anywho...let's get into it: 

favorite movies to watch at Christmas time:

It's a Wonderful Life

Holiday Inn 


An Avonlea Christmas 


Father Knows Best (TV show) 


Mrs. Miniver  



some Christmas songs that make it Christmas:

Christmas Guest by Reba McEntire

Pretty Paper by Randy Travis


Christmas Spirit by Diamond Rio 


Home for the Holidays by The Carpenters 


Santa Clause and Popcorn by Merle Haggard 


Til the Season Comes Round Again by Reba McEntire 


Let it Be Christmas by Alan Jackson 


C-H-R-I-S-T-M-A-S by Kitty Wells 


Old Kris Kringle by Kitty Wells 


There's a New Kid in Town by Keith Whitley 


Okay, I need to stop


some books that I love in the winter (aka give me all the feels):

The Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder 

Boring? Sorry. lol. I guess I don't have many books that give me the feels for Christmas. I mean, any book worth reading is worth reading any time of year, right?

some Christmas goodies that make me smile:

Cheese fondue and french bread 

Spiced apple cider

mocha truffles 

Ham dinner (Christmas dinner) 

crescent rolls 

sparkling cider


some Christmas-y words that make me happy:

stars 

snow 

Christ 

lights 

music 

night

some things I look forward to every year:

Christmas dinner

listening to Christmas music (NEVER before Thanksgiving) 

making gingerbread cookies 

decorating the house and the tree

the large Warnke Christmas at my grandpa's house 

Tree farm <3

Christmas bazaars 

sweaters 

Christmas cards 

favorite Christmas memories:

My favorite memory of all-time is the family gatherings at Grandpa's. We kids would pull out the bottom drawer of one of the cabinets in the kitchen, dumping the piles and piles of colorful crayons on the blue and white linoleum floor. Then we'd lay on our bellies, coloring the pictures of Barbie or Santa or whatever coloring book we grabbed, while the mothers stepped over us and bustled about, making gravy and potatoes and all the other goodies to go with the ham. How they remained so patient with us right below their feet, I'll never know. 
 Then came the time to gather in the living room, where Grandpa would read the Christmas story aloud in his deep, gravelly voice and I would snuggle in his lap along with a few other cousins, playing with his scratchy beard or stroking his dark hair. 

Another fond memory is one from the Stenersen Christmas. My Grandma S sent out matching pjs to the grand kids, and Daminika and I, along with our two cousins Emily and Kirsten, wore them while bouncing around barefoot on my aunt and uncle's cold concrete porch.  Oh, we were goofy kids once. 

If you've followed me for a while, you know that I work as a cleaning day lady for a few different clients. I started last year, along with my sister Daminika. 
 Well, one of clients, Betty Sue, is an elderly woman who is a retired politician (a Democrat) and is home when we arrive to clean, which means having to hold a conversation with her.  Being a stout Conservative and a shy Scandinavian, I wasn't too keen on the idea, but a job is a job. Make the most of it. 
 That first Christmas, however, Betty Sue asked us to decorate her tree for her, since she's getting up there in years. As she watched us begin, tears came to her eyes and she quietly excused herself, saying it was difficult to prepare for the holidays "without Bill." 
 You see, her husband passed away earlier that year and that was her first Christmas alone. 
 I was thoroughly rebuked, feeling like God was reminding me that even if our views are different, this woman is His child, too. And in need of love and grace, just like me. 
 When Christmas Day came, I texted her that morning, telling her that she was on my heart that day, and that I said a prayer for her, asking that God would bless her and comfort her during this time of grief. 
 Her response was heartwarming, as she thanked me and assured me that hearing that meant so much to her. 
 I know she doesn't fully understand God's love and forgiveness, but prayerfully she will someday. And knowing that He can use me and or my sister as a small beacon of light for her fills me with awe. It's a lesson I'll carry for the rest of my life. 

some memories to be made this year: 


My niece Kate's first Christmas

Gathering with family 


Decorating Betty Sue's home! 


Filling the house with smells of bakery 



watch 'It's a Wonderful Life' like we do every Christmas Eve 




guidelines:
Take the banner and put it in your post
List as many things as you want in each category
Tag as many people as your heart desires!

I'm afraid I won't be tagging anyone for this, but feel free to do it anyway! 

                                                                                LaKaysha

1 comment:

  1. You actually made me emotional with your story about Betty Sue. A good reminder for sure!

    Great post! I enjoyed reading your answers!

    ReplyDelete