Friday, November 24, 2017

Life Update// Goat Wrangling


"I'm tired of goin' round and round...."
That's my life song right now, ya'll. 
It's been a whirl of activity around here as of late, and no sign of letting up! 
 I've been spinning on this crazy ride for months now, getting knocked down and mentally thrown around, but I keep getting back up to my feet by sheer will power. *wink*
 
When life gets tough, be like Little Joe

Josiah is here again, and Felicity is back on her cloud, after being pushed down to the depths of despair when they parted ways. 
 I hope you all had a blessed Thanksgiving!
I know I did. <3333333 
 Grandpa's house was filled with squealing kids, tall rowdy boys, and chattering adults (oh, yes, there were some teenage girls there, too. We don't speak of those noisy creatures. cough.cough) 
 The smells of turkey, gravy and potatoes made your mouth water, the homey sounds of guitars, laughter and Grandpa's chuckle warmed your heart. 
 We gathered around the living room and sang hymns of thanks in loud, ringing voices, making my heart spill over with love and happiness, and a few tears even came to my eyes.
 It was a very blessed holiday, indeed.

Chancy got his first buck this fall!

The days have been warming up again *noooooooo* but it was cold and crisp for the past few weeks. 
 My dad and Chancy came home with a decent sized buck (Chancy's first one!) and now we have venison in freezer, waiting to be canned as soon as the days slow down. *HA!*
 There's been bridal shower planning filling the days, as well as preparing for the wedding, plus daily tasks that seem to never stop. 
 The other day Liberty came and got me, saying the neighbor lady was at the door, so being the mature adult that I am, I had to see what this woman wanted, pretending to be wise and chill as I chatted. 
 It seems Simon got out of his pen again and was in her yard. Dumb goat. 
So I slipped on my moccasins and Liberty joined me as we walked down the road to her house, where she had shut Simon up in her own pasture. 
 We slipped a leash on him and tugged and pulled, but the stubborn animal liked it there. 
I would have picked him up and chucked him over the fence, back into our pen, but the neighbor was acting so concerned about how we were pulling at his neck, I didn't think she'd appreciate the sight. 
 So we took a handful of hay and held it out in front of him, coaxing him along the yard, and it was working great, until we came to the pavement. 
 He completely flipped, slipping and sliding his hooves along the concrete and freaking out as if he were being led to the slaughterhouse. 
 Finally I gave up and hoisted him into my arms with a grunt. Thank goodness he's a dwarf goat.
Our neighbor gasped and said, "Oh, dear. You got him? You're all right?" 
 "Yeah, I'm fine." I answered brightly, as Simon laid his head on my shoulder, gazing up adoringly as his smelly breath engulfed my face and stopped all source of breathing on my part. 
 Liberty walked alongside me as we made out way back to the road, and as soon as we were out of sight, I moaned loudly, "I'm gonna die!"
 The fat animal was heavy and smelled like rotten hay, and I wasn't too keen on the idea of marching down the road with a goat in my arms. #countrygirl
 About halfway, I couldn't handle it anymore, and I told Liberty to take him for a second while I caught my breath. 
 She reached out and I placed him in her arms, saying, "You got him?" 
"No." 
 Here were two girls struggling to hold a fat, wiggling goat in the middle of the road, while people passed by in their vehicles, blinking unbelieving,thinking they must have hit the most redneck town in the state. 
 At last we managed to get Simon home and in the pen, but my back was SORE. 
Word of advice. 
 If your goat won't move, just toss him over the fence. 
The neighbor lady might say it's abuse, but it'll save you a broken back.

To all you animal rights people, that was a joke

Just another exciting episode in the reality show 'A Day with a Dork'. *laughs because that was funny, even if you don't think so*
  AHEM. 
Anywho, now that Thanksgiving is over with, Felicity's bridal shower is TOMORROW, and I hope and pray we are ready for it.
 Sorry, haven't the time to say much more. 
It takes all my energy to drag myself into the computer chair and lift my feeble fingers to the keyboard, let alone rack my fried brain for the right words to say to my adoring public.
 *wow. someone needs to just shut up and go to sleep*

As always, in a tearing hurry,
                                                                             LaKaysha




10 comments:

  1. Haha great story!! Great story telling/writing, too ;) The shower was a grand success!! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! We must have looked like two crazy people! ;P

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like fun!!
    i hope you feel better about the business of life soon <3 it's hard to combat so much at once and i pray you feel God's peace.
    congrats to chancy! that's so exciting!!

    sophy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, I sure am glad you still are blogging. Loved your storytelling. Hehe... are you perhaps related to this one family named West? :p

    ReplyDelete